. .
My vocation as a priest | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Eber

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldvk95
UnderGround Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: My vocation as a priest | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Eber If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

At some point soon after my discovery of Playboy magazine I began to live in a state of sin, because I simply could not bring myself to confess certain transgressions to a priest who knew me and could see me perfectly well through the grid of the Confessional. Logically I was choosing eternal torment over a minute's embarrassment. This choice was easy for me. When I saw Harvey Keitel placing his hand in the flame in "Mean Streets," I identified with wow gold kaufen. The difference between us was that long before I reached the age of Charlie in the film, I had lost my faith.With Uncle Bill Stumm on my confirmation day It didn't make sense to me any longer. There was no crisis of conscience. It simply all fell away. I remained a cultural Catholic, which I interpret as believing in the Social Contract and the Corporal Works of Mercy. I didn't believe then, and don't believe now, that it is easy to subscribe to the teachings of the church and not consider yourself a liberal. I got my driving license and my first car at 16. By then I was working for The News-Gazette, and came home at 2 a.m. after helping put the Sunday paper to bed and stopping off with Hal Holmes and Bill Lyon at Mel Root's restaurant across from the courthouse in Urbana. This was my excuse to sleep late and go to the 10:30 a.m. Mass. What I began to do instead was buy the Chicago papers and read them while parked in my car in Crystal Lake Park.In high school, I took Latin for two years at my mother's insistence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UnderGround Forum Index -> -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.