. .
My vocation as a priest | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Eber

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldvk95
UnderGround Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: My vocation as a priest | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Eber If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I loved the idea of Latin. I loved the hymns, especially Tantum Ergo, the solemn song at the Consecration of the Eucharist, which had been written by Thomas Aquinas.I absorbed all of this and in those years never questioned it. In school every morning, the first period was given over to Religion, and especially in seventh and eighth grade Sister Rosanne permitted free-wheeling discussions in which we debated degrees of sin and salvation and had heated theological discussions. She didn't pound dogma into us. She seemed, as I think of it, fond and amused. When she celebrated her 102nd birthday at a Dominican mother house, I pulled a string and got her mentioned by Willard Scott on the Today program. After her death, I received a eso gold from one of the other nuns there. She was winning at Scrabble right to the end.The bishop of Peoria visits St. Pat's I was never abused in any way by any priest or nun. One incident remains vivid to this day. When I was perhaps eight years old, and new to serving Mass, my mind emptied one morning and I made a mess of it. When we returned to the sacristy, I burst into tears. "I'm sorry, Father!" I sobbed, and he sat down and took me on his lap and comforted me, telling me that God understood and so did he. Today, tragically, the idea of an altar boy on a priest's lap has only alarming connotations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UnderGround Forum Index -> -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.